Sunday, August 10, 2008

Entangled in bloglines

Hours spent trying to disentangle myself - opened and read all the links to newsfeeds in first part of Discovery exercise, but major problem has been in setting up Bloglines account as it won't recognise me - they say the have emailed me but that's in the ether somewhere. However, from what I've gleaned so far about newsfeeds it is a quick way to read headlines of important articles which may interest you from electronic resources, journals, newspapers et al? I have already used this technology personally before I really knew what it was about. My sister rang to tell me about a local photographic display in her home town. Although she read me the article, I wanted to search the newspaper online for said article using, I thought, relevant keywords and came up with nothing. Then I spied the RSS icon. I quickly scanned the news items and was overjoyed to find the complete article. The keywords I used to search bore no resemblance to the words in the article headline. Librarians could use news feeds for lists of new books for customers, book reviews (Amazon, Radio New Zealand), to provide announcements (events, services) and other things I haven't thought of yet.

No comments: